Planning to graduate soon? If so, please review and following the steps below:
1. Go to DukeHub and complete the “apply to graduate” process by the deadline listed in the link contained in # 7 below.
2. Get your advisor to submit a note to Graduate Program in Religion office indicating:
- Your advisor has read your dissertation
- The dissertation is complete and ready for defense
3. Notify GPR office of your intention to graduate and date and time for defense
The program coordinator will:
- Book a room for your defense
- Write a defense announcement for you and send to the Graduate School
- Verify that your paperwork is in order
4. Fill out your committee approval form
- Start several months before defense
- A Ph.D. committee should have 4 to 6 people
- 3 committee members should be from the department
- 1 committee member should be from a minor area
- A majority of committee members must be physically present (and others may attend remotely)
- Prior permission must be obtained for remote participation of committee member
5. Initial electronic submission due to The Graduate School at least 2 weeks before defense, and professors should be given at least 3 weeks to read the dissertation before the defense.
6. If you thought you were graduating in a previous semester and you didn’t, you’ll need to re-apply for graduation. The form does NOT carry over.
7. Refer to Graduate School graduation deadlines for all dates pertaining to graduation.
8. Complete the graduation checklist and submit to the GPR office.