Planning to graduate soon? If so, please review and following the steps below:
1. Go to DukeHub and complete the “apply to graduate” process by the deadline listed in the link contained in # 7 below.
2. Get your advisor to submit a note to Graduate Program in Religion office indicating:
- Your advisor has read your dissertation
- The dissertation is complete and ready for defense
3. Notify GPR office of your intention to graduate and date and time for defense
The program coordinator will:
- Book a room for your defense
- Write a defense announcement for you and send to the Graduate School
- Verify that your paperwork is in order
4. Fill out your committee approval form
- Start several months before defense
- A Ph.D. committee should have 4 to 6 people
- 3 committee members should be from the department
- 1 committee member should be from a minor area
- A majority of committee members must be physically present (and others may attend remotely)
- Prior permission must be obtained for remote participation of committee member
5. Initial electronic submission due to The Graduate School at least 2 weeks before defense, and professors should be given at least 3 weeks to read the dissertation before the defense.
6. If you thought you were graduating in a previous semester and you didn’t, you’ll need to re-apply for graduation. The form does NOT carry over.
7. Refer to Graduate School graduation deadlines for all dates pertaining to graduation.